View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 7:52 pm

Reply to topic  [ 234 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 15  Next
 Ask A Spitelord 
* Spitelord

I edited that post twelve times because regular comedy comes in three's, but it takes a pro to do it in multiples of three.

Oh, and the aforementioned spirits may have had a hand in four or five of those edits.

Fri Jun 24, 2005 3:08 am
Profile WWW
+ Regular

Does each digit count as a separate piece of information? Does the rule of seven only apply to average human brains? Is anyone who can remember their social security number off-hand above average? Does the study take into account the different ways in which the mind stores numbers (i.e. as both particulate and compound data)?

Fri Jun 24, 2005 3:40 pm
Profile WWW
* Spitelord

I remember phone numbers by patterns. However lots of non-frequently used information, I cannot remember more than four digits.

Nacho: Is there a simple way to remember Pi?

Fri Jun 24, 2005 4:31 pm
* Spitelord

I think the social security number thing is closer to what Neo said. Instead of remembering seven individual digits you're remembering three small sets of numbers. Same way you can remember a ten digit phone number. You remember it in parts. Hyphens are useful in more ways than one! I think that's why so many complex lists are put to music too. It's easier to remember a verse than a list.

We learned the same thing in one of my intro psych. classes. The professor read off a list of 15 or so different words then had everyone write down as many as they could remember. 7 is always the most common answer.

Neo, have you seen Skyz' arm? She's got a pi 3/4 sleeve. It's damn sexy.

Fri Jun 24, 2005 7:18 pm
* Spitelord

1. Yes, if you don't group them.
2. As Five pointed out, it is about average.
3. If you'd never seen your social security number before, went over it once, and didn't group due to hyphenation, it would be above average in terms of short-term memory. Many people have probably seen theirs enough times to have it memorized (or at least be familiarized with it), so it'd be more closely associated with long-term memory recall.
4. Yep! I think grouping info like that is called chunking. Helps you remember more stuff at a time.

Neo: you could try multi-modal learning, where you use several senses to memorize it, e.g. hearing each digit as you look at it while tracing over it with a pencil. I used to do that just before Spanish tests. Worked like gangbusters. Also, if you have a vivid imagination, think of how the number would look if it were made of copper or pewter--some metal you can smell. Imagine the smell and how it would feel to run your fingers over each digit as you come to it.

Failing that, Five is right--Skyz's sexiness is the best way to remember pi.

Fri Jun 24, 2005 10:57 pm
Profile WWW

That's an awesome method of studying. I'm going to have to try that. I suck at remembering stuff.

And does anyone have a picture of Skyz's arm? I wanna see!!

Tue Jun 28, 2005 2:19 am
Profile WWW
regular

Why does my avatar have to be so small? Mine's as big as it will let me make it, but I've seen others that are bigger. I don't want a big avatar, but I made mine so small, that you can't really make out what's in the picture, other than that it's a person. Which person? I don't know, but it's probably Barry Manilow.

Thu Jun 30, 2005 12:17 pm
Profile WWW
* Spitelord

The maximimum size for an avatar is 80x80, but yours is 73x56. Make it bigger in a paint program and re-upload it.

Yours looks like a grinning chick holding up her tits.

Thu Jun 30, 2005 5:21 pm
Profile WWW
regular

You were close. I am a grinning chick in that picture, but my hands are on my hips.

Edit: Wow, even when resized, it still looks like I have my hands on my chest. I don't think I'll use that one.

Thu Jun 30, 2005 6:22 pm
Profile WWW

I've been working on memorizing pi... I got 3.141592653589793238462643383 from memory, I'm doing it in chunks, and I just repeat a new chunk every other morning.

I started a while ago, with a different idea, but then I did it like that. I haven't done any remembering in a while.

Sat Jul 02, 2005 5:52 pm
* Spitelord

Sat Jul 02, 2005 6:52 pm
Profile WWW

Holy shit, 83,431 digits! Kudos to him. I wish that had been recorded and they had just kept the camera on him all night with no commercial breaks.

Sat Jul 02, 2005 7:06 pm

Well, half...

And I think the American part of my brain is dominate or something! >.<

Oi, oh well...

I wish I had a memory like that.

Mon Jul 18, 2005 4:46 pm
Profile WWW
user

I've seen this mentioned in serveral posts and I'm curious. What is Mirm's Task?

Fri Jul 22, 2005 6:00 pm
* Spitelord

To go back and correct every spelling mistake and every grammatical error made in any and all of your previous posts.

Fri Jul 22, 2005 9:53 pm
regular

I couldn't help but notice that every time I write a post there's a little family of shiny emoticons staring at me. I thought that was slightly odd, as those smiley faces are part of that weird internet language which this board despises with passion.

I haven't clicked on any of them yet, or at least I don't remember doing so. However, old habits are hard to shake off, and I still have to make a conscious effort to stop hovering the mouse over them. I must not give in to their smiley powers.

So, I was wondering what would actually happen if I did decide to click one. What would happen if the admins woke up one morning and saw one of those deceptively cheery icons staring at them from a post on the forum? Would they edit them out? Would they delete the post and tell the culprit to stop being such an asshat? Or worse?

Please let me know. Give me all the details. Convince me to never even think of using one of those emoticons ever again.

Sat Jul 23, 2005 9:02 pm
Reply to topic   [ 234 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 15  Next