View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:24 pm

Reply to topic  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Astral Projection 
regular

Post Astral Projection
This is a topic that has aroused my curiousity for as long as I can remember. I don't think I've ever had an out-of-body experience, yet I have read many articles about people who can become aware that they are dreaming, and ultimately control their dreams. It sounds too good to be true, but my fascination with the idea just keeps growing the more I read about it.

So, tell me your views. Have you ever had an out-of-body experience? Do you wish you could control your dreams, or does it just happen naturally for you? Discuss!

If you want to find out more about astral projection, here is an interesting (and very nicely-designed) website:
http://www.astralvoyage.com/

Thu Jan 26, 2006 5:48 pm
regular

Have you tried it? I know people who've had lucid dreams, but I've never heard a credible account of anyone having an out-of-body experience.

Thu Jan 26, 2006 9:25 pm
Profile WWW
regular

I have vague vague meories of being about 3 and telling my mum I floated down the stairs and past our garden fence and her telling me it was just a dream. It happened more than once I think.
I dunno though, it's hardly like it's happened recently.

Fri Jan 27, 2006 4:32 am
+ Regular

Remote Viewing is the extent of my out-of-body experience. I can accurately see people, places and things without external apparatus, and in the comfort of my home.

Fri Jan 27, 2006 5:23 am
Profile WWW
regular

OBEs are interesting but I'm more facinated by like, sleep paralysis. Maybe because it provenly exists and I tend to be skeptical when it comes to 'astral' things. Not that I don't believe it's true, or am not interested by it of course.

Hag syndrome is a damn trippy subject. Acts just like a haunting or a psychotic episode or something.

Fri Jan 27, 2006 12:17 pm
Profile WWW
regular

Remote Viewing is the extent of my out-of-body experience. I can accurately see people, places and things without external apparatus, and in the comfort of my home.

How does that work? If you wanted to, could you see me right now?

Fri Jan 27, 2006 3:17 pm
Profile WWW
* Spitelord

If I wake up and can't move, I just go back to sleep. I don't have nightmares, and the crowbar next to my bed keeps me feeling pretty safe, so I guess that keeps me from freaking. I'm more prone to somnambulatin'. Especially when I'm going to throw up.

Fri Jan 27, 2006 4:00 pm
Profile WWW
user

I'm glad you made this topic, InKy. This type of thing is all I've been reading about lately.

So far, I've had 3 lucid dreams and what I think was the beginning of an astral projection. The hardest thing for me was training myself to remember my dreams every night. Patterns and themes certainly recur in dreams, and analyzing my subconscious has been great fun.

Fri Jan 27, 2006 8:18 pm
+ Regular

CDAAAH wrote:

How does that work? If you wanted to, could you see me right now?

I stimulate my alpha-pattern brainwaves through mantra, then concentrate on the person or place I'm trying to see. Most people online are difficult to visualize, possibly because they tend to shield themselves with false identities. Candid and open interaction is necessary to the process--not necessarily full disclosure, but I can't track people from the sort of bullshit self-concepts they generally employ on the net.

It's more than seeing someone, when it comes to people; it's feeling their presence. If you're wearing a red shirt in real life, but a blue shirt in your mind, for instance, it interferes with my ability to see what you actually look like. Your presence and appearance must match.

Also, the messageboard isn't as live a link to you as chat is--you aren't still in front of your computer right now, nor can I easily find you without first establishing contact.

Fri Jan 27, 2006 9:38 pm
Profile WWW
regular

When you see someone, are you just seeing them as they look at that moment, or are you actually watching them?

Sat Jan 28, 2006 10:09 am
Profile WWW
* Spitelord

I have Lucid dreams all the time, but never out of body experiences. Lucid dreams are very easy for me, as a watcher of my dreams I simply do a reality check. Because most of my dreams are so far out there, it's easy to tell when I am dreaming and when I am not. Once the reality check was done, I could mostly do whatever I wanted, I went from watcher to participator.

Anytime I hear ouf OBEs I think of the crazy guy who I worked with who was part of the cult of [color=brown]Eckankar[/color]. I only say cult because that is what it is from what he's shown to me. You have to buy materials (point A), but he gave me a $12 book to try to recruit me, which is point B. I gave it back. I think he was slightly mentally disabled (point C) taking advantage of people. He always made explosion noises with his mouth, moreso on stressful days. They advertize on TV and radio out here way late at night, but the founder owns a huge mansion. (D?)

Thats my whole "Out of body experience".

Sat Jan 28, 2006 12:38 pm
regular

I've TRIED to remember to reality check, but my dreams tend to be really short and fast or so it seems, so I never have a chance to remember.

I've read about some weird ones though, like if you read some text, and look away and look back, it's usually different. If you look at your watch and look away, and back, it's usually different. Lightswitches don't seem to work often. Mirror images tend to look distorted. Tilting your head back and forth sometimes makes the 'image' look like a strobe light or something.

Freaky shit.

I did try this Aural Focusing technique a while back though, which worked, and was very odd. You keep your TV on for a while, and stay up until sleep is highly desirable, and then turn it down until it's just barely the loudest sound present while you sleep. And then you focus on the TV sound, and picture yourself climbing infinite sounds or something.

Eventually you'll slip into a lucid dream, and what I experienced isn't uncommon to the people who try it, according to my research.

I came to the top of the stairway, into my own room, and the TV was still on but it was static, and I could still hear the program that was on in reality. Some infomercial. Actually I think it was for something ironic, like a new matress, or Lunesca.
And after a while the TV had these nonsensical characters, and then some words, and then when I looked back they were different.

Then once I stepped out of it the world was all weird and crazy. So, I flew, and messed around with stuff. It was fun.

Sat Jan 28, 2006 2:33 pm
Profile WWW
regular

I can quite often control the subject matter of my dreams, simply by focusing on it in a certain way as I fall asleep. Once dreaming, I'm always aware that what I experience is not real, but I can't excert any degree of control. This makes nightmares wierd- I don't feel fear because I recognise them for what they are, but I cannot dictate the course of events. There's a sort of crushing inevitability about it, just like a cheesy horror movie.

Quite often things that I dream about happen at a later time. Never anything significant, just visuals of locations, situations and people. They could be mostly put down to coincidence, but there were one or two where the location was somewhere I had never been. It's a bit like d

Sat Jan 28, 2006 4:01 pm
Profile WWW
regular

So far, I've had 3 lucid dreams and what I think was the beginning of an astral projection. The hardest thing for me was training myself to remember my dreams every night. Patterns and themes certainly recur in dreams, and analyzing my subconscious has been great fun.

I tried astral projection, and I think I came close once; I cleared my thoughts (or most of them, at least), and got to a stage where my body started vibrating. I panicked though, worrying that sleep paralysis would get me, so I shook myself out of it!

I rarely remember my dreams, but I can still remember fragments of dreams I've had years ago. There are definitely some patterns in my dreams; I know I've had a lot of dreams that ended with me taking a big leap down the stairs from the top step. I always wake up from those dreams feeling like I've fallen through the bed.

The most vivid memory I have is of crawling through a maze of tunnels filled with bright orange lava. But every now and then it would change color. I think it was green with purple spots at one stage. It was a long time ago so I'm not sure if I was controlling the color of the lava or not.

I miss having those cool dreams. I'll give reality checking a try.

Sat Jan 28, 2006 5:07 pm

Sat Jan 28, 2006 5:09 pm
regular

If I get to the point of knowing I'm dreaming then I wake up. I'll look about and realize that it's not real and my body fails to see the point anymore and wakes up.
I often wake up after having the sensation of falling. Which I'm told is sometimes an astral projection thing.
Nobody True by James Herbet is all about astral projection.

Sat Jan 28, 2006 5:20 pm
Reply to topic   [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next