View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:38 pm

Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 A trip to Europe 
regular

Post A trip to Europe
Next year, round spring, my family and I are planning to visit Europe. We want to visit England, Germany, Holland, and Ireland, maybe Italy. If the people over on that side of the pond, or anybody who's previously visited, could recommend any clean cheap hotels, I'd be much obliged. I'm currently googling various hotels and the like, but I know from experience the reviews can't be trusted. Also any restaraunts or sights you might suggest would be greatly appreciated. I promise that in exchange for your information, my family and I will not be stereotypical American tourists.

Fri Mar 17, 2006 9:21 pm
regular

Ireland.

Ireland, Ireland, Ireland.

I guess that would be my area of expertise (you can help if you like though inKs). Lessee. I don't know a whole lot about hotels but if you had places in mind let us know and we can just ask people who know 'em (if possible).

Anyone who doesn't care, this is a good place to stop reading.

Sights:
The capital is obviously the place to start, but it's basically one big construction site. Factor in the riots the other week and the Paddy's day cleanup, and you have one beautiful city. There's also not a whole lot to see -- unless pubs are your thing, of course. Most of the stuff tourists seem to go for is down the West. The ol' Burren is a beautiful place (in a barren sort of way) and the Cliffs of Moher are certainly worth a vist. A lot of people seem to be drawn to Dingle also (they've officially renamed it An Daingeann though, just to be confusing). I personally find it a little dull, but then perhaps I have been too many times.

I can be more helpful than this if you actually want me to be! PM me though; I don't wanna post a tourist brochure on the forum, this post is too long, and I'm somewhat hung over besides.

"my family and I will not be stereotypical American tourists."

The Rules:
~You will not say "Gee, willya look at that" &c. very loudly in public. We're a soft spoken race, so keep the volume down.
~You will not purchase giant green oversized floppy leprechaun hats and then wear them. You can BUY if you like; hell, boost our pitiful economy. Just don't be seen.
~You will not talk about leprechauns.
~Don't try to speak Irish. That's a guideline, not a rule. Most who try end up looking silly, is all.
~You will not use the word "quaint". Ever.
~You will not stagger around Temple Bar blind drunk at 3 in the morning wearing a novelty item (/s) laughing at randomers. That's MY thing...

*Mumble mutter it's well for some mutter mmph.

Sat Mar 18, 2006 8:12 am
Profile WWW
regular

Softly spoken, but you can't half fucking swear. I SWEAR I saw this happen in St Stephens Green the year before last.

There is a mother avec child, the child has obviously been crying.

Mother:Y'cannae let 'im do that to ya Billy. Next time he does that, you smack him in the fuckin' Gob. What d'you do?
Billy: I smack him in the fuckin' gob mammy.

This kid was about 4. It made me warm inside.
The place I stayed in Ireland was so beautiful, cheap too, but, it was a fair way from Dublin, I seem to recall, which is where you'd want to be going I'd assume. I'll find out the name and stuff for you anyway.

In terms of places in England it depends an awful lot on what you want to see.
PLEASE do not be so affected and ignorant of social graces as many of your fellow countrymen. People in England would rather not talk to eachother if they can possibly fucking help it, so the kind of blatant patronising chit chat thought acceptable by many a yank will not go down too well.

Sat Mar 18, 2006 8:20 am
regular

Yup. If you can't hold your own in a slagging match, you're not really worth talking to. That seems to be the consensus anyway; I don't neccesarily agree. Still, never be surprised at a barrage of random insults flung your way by some random twelve year old.

I love my country sometimes...

Sat Mar 18, 2006 8:24 am
Profile WWW
regular

I know a guy called Neal from ireland and the first words I heard him say were "Get the fuck off my fucking shoes you fucking motherfuckers"

It's a damn good thing I'm not of a nervous disposition. Or easily offended.
I love Ireland. It's nice there.

Sat Mar 18, 2006 8:33 am

It's true what you say, Munky. Slagging is like our ultimate social test and I love my island for it.
Anon, if you have drained all you can from the good Munky, there, I could add some stuff to your list of things to do in Ireland. Just PM me, if I can be of help.

Might even show you around Dublin, if you feel up to it.

Fri May 05, 2006 4:01 pm
regular

God you're nice...yeah, when everything is set up I'd love a tour.

If pushed, I can cuss up a storm. I just have to remember that I don't give a fuck. If I remember that, then I'm fine.

Fri May 05, 2006 4:37 pm
regular

No. You fucking need to fucking remember that you fucking well don't give a flying fuck... You fucking gobshite.
Yeah, that works. I know a few people who use "Fucking" as a placeholder, too - instead of saying "uh", "em", "er", or even pausing, fill the gap with "fucking" instead. It works for them. They sound like they're being obscene when they tell us about how they went to get lunch the other day. Works best if you talk about people, and always put it in front of names.

Oh, and of course I extend the offer of showing-around-age too, should it be required or desired. It will come in the form of incoherent mumbling and vague pointing.

Fri May 05, 2006 5:15 pm
Profile WWW
regular

Vague pointing and mumbling appreciated...you fucking fucker...

Fri May 05, 2006 5:26 pm

Post England
I can help with England. Were exactly you wanting to do, just sight see and take photos of red phone box's or are you the more active and want to see the contry side??

Sat May 06, 2006 5:40 am
regular

Country side, famous buildings (I study architecture), and I'm not bringing a camera and couldn't give a fuck about a phone box, so...Yeah. Whatever you think is relevant would be appreciated, thanks.

Sat May 06, 2006 11:24 am
regular

I'm in charge of England kthx. If anybody is going to point out the pointless and uninteresting to our friend Moose it's going to be me. YOU are new.

Sun May 07, 2006 10:35 am
regular

Aw, I didn't know you cared enough to point out the pointless and uninteresting to me, Ethanol. I'm feeling all warm and fuzzy.

Sun May 07, 2006 6:23 pm
I'm feeling all warm and fuzzy.

So, you have actually turned into a Moose, then.

Mon May 08, 2006 8:10 am

So funk if im new? I can still give travel advice about my own country. Well if architecture is your bag get your self down to London or mabe even Manchester? what sort of architecture you wanting?

Tue May 09, 2006 6:19 am
Woah, there kthx. If Eth says she has it covered, I suspect she has it covered.

The main reason she wins over you right now is that you are, in every sense of the word, a newbie (also, she can spell). Noobs have a low life expectancy 'round these parts and accepting an offer from you would likely therefore, be pointless. As nice an offer as it is, may I suggest you sit back, relax, watch how things are done in these parts and then, when Anon is actually coming over this way next year, offer again. I'm sure at that stage, if you're good, you'll find a warmer reception.

Tue May 09, 2006 7:01 am
Reply to topic   [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next