View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:12 pm

Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ] 
 What century is it again? 
regular

Post What century is it again?
Lisa Sweetingham wrote:
Minister faces five years in prison after killing boy during exorcism

Terrance Cottrell, an autistic boy who hated to be touched, was suffocated by a minister who attempted to cure the child of his 'demons.'

-->Article<--

I found this pretty shocking. I find it difficult to imagine anybody putting that much stock in such archaic beliefs, even less that the boy's mother could watch it happen and not notice.

So what I want to know is, is this kind of situation an isolated event or are so-called exorcisms and other pseudoscientific or religion-derived healing methods a regular event? I address this mainly to the bible-belters among you, and anyone who lives in a region where religion is firmly tied to everyday life for most people. Is faith in modern medicine and science (and yes, an element of faith IS required, despite the fact that much of it is usually presented as undisputable) really this lacking anywhere?

Sat May 06, 2006 9:11 am
Profile WWW
Well, seems I was told I still had diabetes after I was 'healed' because I hadn't enough faith. I had to admit, despite the two things being unrelated, the guy had a point based on the facts at hand. I have little religious faith, and I do have diabetes.

Can't argue with lemming logic.

But, where'd this happen Munky?

Sat May 06, 2006 12:28 pm
regular

Milwaukee or something. It's in the article. Click on the article link!

Sat May 06, 2006 12:43 pm
Profile WWW
* flick declares herself blind, despite evidence to the contrary.

Sat May 06, 2006 2:17 pm
* Spitelord

I can poke my head out the window and see five churches, but I haven't heard of any exorcisms around here. Though, I don't doubt it could happen.

As for being an isolated incident...

Romania
Wellington, New Zealand
Atlanta, Georgia

And I'm sure you could find more. Faith is the antithesis of rational, logical thought, so Christianity tends to make ignorance and stupidity universal.

Sat May 06, 2006 4:50 pm
Profile WWW
regular

That first one is particularly horrifying. Although, I do know people from Moldova which is ALMOST the same place as Romania, and they follow the Romanian Orthodox branch of Christianity, the same religion as mentioned in the article... They're deeply religious, but I still can't imagine them stooping to that level of credulousness. I mean, that's practically tribal shit right there. It just has no place in the developed world.

Sat May 06, 2006 6:38 pm
Profile WWW
regular

No it doesn't, but then neither does Tom Cruise. Scientology(sp?) almost makes me hate Christianity less, but then this shit reminds me that both "religions" are incredibly stupid, to the point of being evil.

Sat May 06, 2006 9:28 pm
regular

Anywho, I think something like this qualifies as insanity right? Delusion? It's gotta be...

Sun May 07, 2006 12:26 am
Profile WWW

I only read the first post about the Romanian church, but the truly sad thing about it is that, even if they were convicted and sent to jail, it wouldn't really make any one of them, nor any of the others who practice those types of "exorcisms," repentant. They would just call being thrown in prison a "test of their faith" and continue doing what they always did with a renewed fervor.

Sun May 07, 2006 3:55 am

I'm a bit religious myself, but even I believe that exorcisms are outdated.

It's unbelievable that people still believe that everything can be cured if you have enough faith...it's as though they've reverted back to medieval times.

Last edited by zurazara on Mon May 08, 2006 8:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mon May 08, 2006 7:19 am
Was that some time between the Dork Ages, and the Runny Sense?

[note: flick is aware that indeed, the medieval age, and the dark ages are somewhat interchangeable but for the purposes of this post, that has been disregarded]

Mon May 08, 2006 8:12 am

And that, ladies and gentlemen, is why I was never destined to become a famous author. Spell check hates me. (And I was lazy in school, but that's a different subject.)

Mon May 08, 2006 8:30 am
* Spitelord

[note: flick is aware that indeed, the medieval age, and the dark ages are somewhat interchangeable but for the purposes of this post, that has been disregarded]

"Medieval age" is a redundancy; "eval" means "age."

Mon May 08, 2006 10:05 am
Profile WWW

Mon May 08, 2006 11:03 am
* Spitelord

Fuckin' A. You can buy stickers of it here, and I hear tell if you get a premium account on that site, they'll give you a t-shirt with it. Though, it would be cheaper and cooler to just print your own, pirate-style.

Mon May 08, 2006 11:18 am
Profile WWW
regular

Yeah, but a home-made job might not be perfect.

Mon May 08, 2006 11:29 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 16 posts ]