View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:39 pm

Reply to topic  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 History 
regular

Post History
I received for my birthday, last year, a book full of newspaper clippings related to World War II.
I thought others on this board might be as interested in it as I am.
Here are a few clippings towards the begining of the book.
I will of course post more if people are interested,
but this book is five inches thick and I have to perserve some of the photos before sharing them.

Mon May 15, 2006 12:41 pm
regular

"After World War II, German lawyers defending those accused of being Nazi war criminals for having forcibly sterilized two million people as a part of Nazi racial doctrine pointed to the sterilization laws in America and the 1927 Supreme Court decision as justification for their clients' conduct."

<a href="http://www.a1articles.co.uk/article19002.html">America</a> is somewhat of a hypocrite when it comes to the human rights thing, no?

I love stuff like that, I really like some of the first photographs, it's surreal to see real stuff that happened that long ago. I have some pictures of Jack the Ripper's victims and I'm fascinated. Not for icky reasons just because it's something that infamous that I can see.

Mon May 15, 2006 2:30 pm
* Spitelord

Yeah, the UK would never dream of attempting something so monstrous.

Mon May 15, 2006 2:45 pm
Profile WWW
regular

Never said we didn't but we don't kick up such a fuss about freedom and the like, now do we? We lick GW's arse but that's another matter.

Mon May 15, 2006 2:47 pm
regular

America may be hypocritical, but it is trying to do better than previous generations, and that's all anyone can do. The problem is that it's a government of the people, and the people aren't perfect. And while hell is paved with good intentions, I'm not so cynical as to believe that motive has no merit in this world. We're not perfect, but we try to do right by our ideals.

Edit- I might add that America is just as subject to the popular thoughts and trends of the time as any other country. While we have a horrific past in terms of being hypocritical about human rights, the only thing that makes it worse is that we believe in freedom. If we didn't hold freedom as an ideal we'd be just another face in the crowd of civilizations that have done horrifying atrocities in the past.

While hypocrisy is just as evil as anything else, we're getting better than we were. We still have hypocrisy, but it cannot hide behind our ideology any more. America has lost it's innocence, just another stage in it's incredibly long puberty. We hope to reach the adult age once Bush is out of office.

Mon May 15, 2006 3:36 pm
* Spitelord

Never said we didn't but we don't kick up such a fuss about freedom and the like, now do we? We lick GW's arse but that's another matter.

I'm sorry you got caught with your pants down in your little unwarranted attack. Just remember this: there is no country or kingdom on this planet who has lived its life so cleanly it should feel free to cast stones.

If you make one more attack against the US, you're banned. If you make a huge Americ Sucks, I quit! tirade, I'll delete it without reading the body, and then ban you.

The one thing to remember above all is that this is my playground, and I don't care for that shit here. There are plenty of places I can go to be subjected to ignorant jingoistic tripe, this will not turn into one of them.

Mon May 15, 2006 7:03 pm
Profile WWW

I applaude you Sunder and Anonymoose, well said.

Ethanol, can you post the Jack the Ripper article?
Past events like this have always interested me quite a bit so thank you
Anonymoose for shareing them with us. ^_^

Tue May 16, 2006 7:19 am
regular

It was a book. If it's the photos you're interested in you can probably get them somewhere online. It's a really interesting book though if you've a head for facts. It are factoid heavy.

Tue May 16, 2006 10:12 am
regular

You are quite welcome ZuZu, here's another one. This one is the third article about the Nazi victims, the first ones...I can't share.

Tue May 16, 2006 11:55 am

I'm scared to think of what the first two articles are like...

And Ethanol, may I ask the name of the book? Most of the things I've read on Jack the Ripper were vague details refering to other books and such, so a book with straight facts would be nice for a change.

Tue May 16, 2006 1:59 pm
regular

Tue May 16, 2006 2:00 pm

Thank you. ^_^

Tue May 16, 2006 4:05 pm

I read it ages ago though, but I must say I found it inexplicably lacking in its theories and conclusion. I'd be extremely interested to know what you thought, Eth?

And, zu, if it's straight facts you're after, might I suggest this site i found a while back?

http://www.casebook.org/

Tue May 16, 2006 11:40 pm
regular

Inexplicably lacking in theories and conclusion?
She had the MOST coherent theory on Jack the Ripper I've heard to date, and she had new evidence which hadn't been linked to the case before (the doodles in that Inn's guest book).
She also found evidence that all of the letters were written by Sickert, and explained how he found out about one of the murders quickly enough to come and sketch at the crime scene.

Therefore I disagree.

Wed May 17, 2006 7:33 am

I read some reveiws for it and everyone else seemed to have wonderfull things to say about the book. (plus it's only 7.99 on Amazon, not to mention I havn't even looked at the library yet) So we'll see.

And thank you Lumpling for the link, I'll have to check it later though, I'm in the middle of an exam. >_<

Last edited by zurazara on Wed May 17, 2006 9:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wed May 17, 2006 9:44 am
regular

She also found evidence that all of the letters were written by Sickert

Um... I don't claim to be in any way expert on this topic, or even to have more than a passing interest, but wouldn't I be right in saying that there were hundreds of letters purportedly from "The Ripper"? I believe that most, if not all of these were fakes, largely inspired by the newspapers' publication of one such, which is also now considered to have been a probable fake.
So, proof that someone wrote a Ripper letter cannot be considered proof that said party was the killer. Unless it can be proven that the letter or letters in question were penned by the culprit, this remains a weak link in the theory.

This is interesting. I'll do some proper research into it once my exams are over and I sober up.

Wed May 17, 2006 9:44 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next