View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:22 am

Reply to topic  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 History 
regular

The guy had issues (I astound you, I know) but it is all explained in the book and it's pretty damned convincing. He was an artist with way too much time on his hands and issues involving sex and his permanent lack of. His dick was broked, and they did dodgey victorian style (sans drugs) surgery on it, which made it worse.
There's a painting of his called jack the Ripper's Bedroom that I really like, and feel bad bad about liking.

Read the book. Just DO it.
I should be getting payed for this.

Wed May 17, 2006 10:01 am
Patricia Cornwell's a crime novelist, isn't she? I could swear my parents read her books. Fair dues to her if she's pulled off a factual account as well as she seems to have.

Must look this book up in the library at some stage.

Wed May 17, 2006 12:05 pm
regular

Yeah, tis a factual thing, VERY factual, we're talking paper manufacturers and getting the DNA off 200 year old stamps (I don't remember if it worked or not)

Wed May 17, 2006 12:07 pm

Moose, what's the earliest article you have in the book? Are they all from one newspaper, or from various? Inquiring minds want to know.

Eth, you've sold me; I've added the book to my gargantuan "to read" list. Should get to it in a year or three.

Thu May 18, 2006 7:05 pm
regular

Before or around 1942. I think it's all from the same news paper but I can't be certain.

If anyone else has 'cool shit' to share like Eth did, please feel free to share it.

Thu May 18, 2006 7:37 pm

Patricia Cornwell's a crime novelist, isn't she?

Yes, she is. Her novels are fiction, although she is actually a Medical Examiner.
So I'm not doubting her research, just the conclusion she drew.

Hers probably is one of the best theories that exists, but it can't be called "Case Closed" by a long shot. Her theory is almost entirely based on proving that Sickert was the auther of some Ripper letters, and my feelings toward this echo munky:

Quote:
proof that someone wrote a Ripper letter cannot be considered proof that said party was the killer. Unless it can be proven that the letter or letters in question were penned by the culprit, this remains a weak link in the theory

Thus, I remain sceptical.

Fri May 19, 2006 12:02 am

Whether it's true or not it sounds interesting, so I will have to go have a look at it some time.

Sun May 21, 2006 11:10 am

I just picked up a book of various Tijuana Bibles. It's very interesting to see what was used for masturbation material prior to skin mags. My favorite of the ones I've read so far featured Donald Duck having a homosexual experience. If I can get my paws on a working scanner I'll share it with y'all.

Sun Jun 18, 2006 10:31 am
Reply to topic   [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2