View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 4:51 am

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 Power 
Post Power
Anonymoose wrote:
Oh, oil! Giver of power, corrupter of governments, non-sticker of surfaces... must you taunt us with your slick, non-renewable goodness?-Jon Stewart

I have recently discovered that my parents are going ahead and getting some solar panels installed in the roof of our house back in Ireland, to heat the water. This surprised me greatly as we tend not to get a lot of sun at home. But, fair dues to the old crinklies, I think it's a great idea. (And mayhaps global warming will help on that front.)

Has anyone, or does anyone know of anyone whose gone down the same road as far as energy conservation goes?

Mon Jun 05, 2006 5:57 am
* Spitelord

Edit:
By the way, British English will hereby be called Eunglish to discern it from American English, which will stay just plain English. Similarly, proper spelling in English will still be called orthography, but for Eunglish, it is now orthougraphy. Thank you, drive through.

Mon Jun 05, 2006 6:30 am
Profile WWW
regular

Don't you mean "thru" nacho? I think it would make more sense to refer to the East-o'-the-puddle dialect as English, and to yours as "*Nglish" or "Inglish" or whatever is cool with the trendy kids nowadays. Perhaps, given their love for odd zees* instead of esses, it should be "Englizh".

Ha, yes flick, I don't see this fair isle getting quite enough sun to adequately power a house's heating system. Maybe it has been nice enough for the last few days, but this IS our week of proper summer, after all. Y'know, the week before the Junior and Leaving Certs, when all those poor bastards have to study.

Incidentally, I suggest you read this page. The whole site is very interesting actually, I recommend reading it to anyone who's not too easily scared. A passing interest in the science behind some of it helps, too; the site is mainly presented in fairly easy-to-understand terms, but you'd get more out of it.

*zeds.

Mon Jun 05, 2006 8:54 am
Profile WWW
That is one scary-ass page of information, yes. I saw a program on the BBC a couple of days ago that said pretty much the same thing.

I'm not a fan of the UK's idea to rely further on nuclear, though. How many new power staions is it they're planning on building? Can't remember off hand, but it's no small number. Nut cases. Not for the first time do I want to give Tony Blair a good smack.

The solar water heating'd just be for the shower, I think, plus the pump to get the water pressure up to adequate in my area, but hey, least it's something. I'm kind of looking forward to living in a house with solar panels, though.

Mon Jun 05, 2006 9:29 am
* Spitelord

I think it would make more sense to refer to the East-o'-the-puddle dialect as English, and to yours as "*Nglish" or "Inglish" or whatever is cool with the trendy kids nowadays.

If you want to go by trendy, you guys could always call yours En'Glish.

Eats, Shoots and Leaves by Lynne Truss wrote:
In the spring of 2001 the ITV1 show Popstars manufactured a pop phenomenon for our times: a singing group called Hear'Say. The announcement of the Hear'Say name was quite a national occasion, as I recall; people actually went out in very large numbers to buy their records; meanwhile, newspapers, who insist on precision in matters of address, at once learned to place Hear'Say's apostrophe correctly and attend to the proper spacing. To refer in print to this group as Hearsay (one word) would be wrong, you see. To call it Hear-Say (hyphenated) would show embarrassing ignorance of popular culture. And so it came to pass that Hear'Say's poor, oddly placed little apostrophe was replicated everywhere and no one gave a moment's thought to its sufferings. No one saw the pity of its position, hanging there in eternal meaninglessness, silently signalling to those with eyes to see, "I'm a legitimate punctuation mark, get me out of here." Checking the Hear'Say website a couple of years later, I discover that the only good news in this whole sorry saga was that, well, basically, once Kym had left to marry Jack in January 2002

Mon Jun 05, 2006 11:52 am
Profile WWW
regular

Mon Jun 05, 2006 1:06 pm
user

Why yes. My friend bought a few panels and went off on a commercial-esque rant regarding its uses. "and you can get it all, at Canadian Tire"

That fuck.

Tue Jun 06, 2006 7:25 pm
Profile YIM
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]