View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:29 pm

Reply to topic  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Here comes the science bit. 
Post Here comes the science bit.
I have just seen an ad (commercial) on telly for anti-wrinkle cream. "Not a big deal" you say. "Ah! But..." I say, with a bit of a manic look in my eye "This was anti wrinkle cream for MEN". And this is the part of the conversaion where I lose it, and give out about how inane the whole thing is.

I mean, anti wrinkle cream for women is just as pointless. Who, in the grand scheme of the universe should stress about "Increasing lipid density, to help reduce those lines and wrinkles*" But, when an ad goes and starts telling men that "Those lines you think add character? She sees as premature ageing", I see the end of humanity hurtling towards us like a huge, powder-puffed meteor.

So, I ask, has anyone encountered any other moronic products (the more idiotic, the better), or advertising campaigns. I hold my breath in anticipation.

* ... and where do they get off calling "water" "micro aqua spheres" as if they're actually fooling anyone?

Mon Jul 17, 2006 9:30 am
regular

There's this headache relief product called HeadOn that has a really frightening commercial. All that's said is, "HEAD ON! Apply directly to the forehead. HEAD ON! Apply directly to the forehead. HEAD ON! Apply directly to the forehead." with this woman rubbing a glue stick-looking thing on her face.

It's memorable, anyway.

Mon Jul 17, 2006 12:00 pm
Profile WWW
regular

The anti-wrinkle ad with Claudia Schiffer is just as terrible.
"My wrinkles are filled and my life is too."

I'll look younger so everything is wonderful! I must buy this product!

Mon Jul 17, 2006 4:37 pm

And saying that it's ridiculous purely because it's a man's grooming product is terrible. Men are equally vain and self obsessed.

[insert rant on vanity]

Be realistic. Looks matter in this world. It's fucked up, it's awful, it shouldn't be like that. But it is. Face it - if you're ugly, you're a nobody.

And even ignoring that, what's so damn bad about wanting to look good? Anti-wrinkle cream isn't that terrible on the scale of things.

On a non bitchy note, I hate the idea of these full body tights that pull everything in. How bloody uncomfortable would that be, and how embarassing if someone found you wearing it.

Mon Jul 24, 2006 3:08 pm
regular

Looks don't matter in the WORLD they matter in the media.
How many ugly rich people do you see? Lots.
Point proven, shut the fuck up.
Don't tell me what to do, you are new and very much in the minority.

Mon Jul 24, 2006 4:59 pm
* Spitelord

Being pretty is very low on the scale of things that rate you as a nobody or not.

Mon Jul 24, 2006 5:49 pm
Profile WWW
regular

That's hardly what flick was getting at. I'm pretty sure she was disgusted with the way the ad was trying to convince men that they're less desirable to women if they have wrinkles, not the fact that men use anti-wrinkle cream.

Trying to be antagonistic for no particular reason isn't a very clever thing to do as soon as you join a forum.

Mon Jul 24, 2006 6:04 pm
Profile WWW

Face it - if you're ugly, you're a nobody.

Joseph Merrick was pretty shit hot famous.

Mon Jul 24, 2006 8:14 pm
* Spitelord

Talent supersedes looks. At least among those with taste.

Mon Jul 24, 2006 8:28 pm
It was the fact that the ad was being so bloody blatant about it, and putting words in the mouths of what they made appear as the majority of women that I thought sucked.

Advertisers have no morals. This has been made clear to me.

Tue Jul 25, 2006 3:52 am
regular

What? No, you obviously don't get this. If you use products that are endorsed by a celebrity, you can become that celebrity.

Why does nobody except me realize this?

Tue Jul 25, 2006 3:57 am
Profile WWW
You eat a lot of Coco-Pops, don't you, Munky?

Tue Jul 25, 2006 4:02 am
regular

As long as I never turn into that fucking hippo I'll be happy.

Tue Jul 25, 2006 4:05 am
Profile WWW
It only shows in your uncanny ability to trick crocodiles into doing stupid things.

Tue Jul 25, 2006 4:12 am

Yes, occasionally ugly people leak into the media, but you think girls swoon over ugly guys?

I'm only being realistic.

And just because I'm new doesn't mean that my point is any less valid.

It's just because I'm not moaning and bitching "Oh, it's so awful, the world is a terrible place, blah blah blah"

Tue Jul 25, 2006 11:35 am
You think that because of the way a guy looks, he's not worthy of attention? Man, some of the most attractive guys I know would never in a million years be featured on a magazine. And equally, some of the least desirable are the kind that boy band managers would snap up in a heartbeat.

Assholes will always be assholes, however they look.
And gentlemen will always be gentlemen.

Open your god damn eyes.

*And, you're right, it's not your newness that makes you wrong. But you are still wrong.

Tue Jul 25, 2006 11:44 am
Reply to topic   [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next