View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:33 pm

Reply to topic  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Worst Movie Titles! 

Post Worst Movie Titles!
Even if you can't judge a book by its cover, sometimes it's really easy to judge a film by its title. Some movies seem destined to fail before they ever reach the theaters, simply due to their awful and nonsensical names. "Snakes on a Plane" might be the best movie title in years, but other recent releases like "Two for the Money" and "Lucky Number Slevin" are just too ridiculous to take seriously.

Any thought on some of your favorite bad movie titles, recent or retro, indie or otherwise?

Fri Aug 25, 2006 4:30 am
regular

I hate "Snakes on a Plane" as a title. It screams "This is a single concept movie! We're basing this ENTIRE film on one thing! Which is snakes! On a plane! Who needs a plot with snakes? When they're on a plane?".

Maybe I would have loved it about ten years ago, but not now.

I will also nominate Boy Eats Girl (don't know if it ever made it across the puddle). It's an Irish-made ZomRomCom, came out last year. It was actually pretty OK to watch, if a little less intellectually stimulating than I'd have liked which was unsurprising, but that title is just awful. I would never have bothered going to see it save for the fact that my bestest friend (second from the left in this poster image) was in it.

Fri Aug 25, 2006 5:35 am
Profile WWW
Post Re: Worst Movie Titles!
Slipshod69 wrote:
other recent releases like "Two for the Money" and "Lucky Number Slevin" are just too ridiculous to take seriously.

I have to admit I find it surprising you'd go and shine a light on the topic of names, when you have chosen such a badly ended one, yourself.

Heed the advice in Intro Reactions. It's good stuff.

Fri Aug 25, 2006 7:18 am

So what actaully makes a good movie title? Snakes on a Plane may suck some heavy nuts, but the title is strait forward. It tells you the whole idea of what the movie is about. You cant ignore that just the title alone has grabbed a whole cult following.

As for flick, have you seen either of those movies? Can you tell me what there about from the titles? I study film so I know what I am talking about. You can burn me all you want just keep it in other threads. I can take a punch, no matter how senseless.

Fri Aug 25, 2006 7:22 pm
Have you seen either of those movies?
Nope. Been too busy getting my degree. But I did wanna go see the Slevin one, based purely on the odd title.

Quote:
Can you tell me what there about from the titles?
Nope, but then that never stopped Eternal Sunshine, or Oceans 11, or The Wind That Shakes The Barley, or The Royal Tenenbaums, or Chitty Chitty Bang Bang...

Quote:
I study film so I know what I am talking about
I will dismiss this until I see evidence of a certificate, or failing that, evidence of you actually knowing what you're talking about.

Why the hell am I even bothering with this? I don't even wanna discuss movie titles. I'm going to sleep.

Fri Aug 25, 2006 9:17 pm
regular

I study film so I know what I am talking about.

Hooo, look out!

Fri Aug 25, 2006 9:57 pm
Profile WWW

Munky: I have actually heard of Boy Eats Girl. I havn't seen it becuase I really like zomies but when you throw comedy and romance into the plot it gets silly and pointless. Zombies seem to be there own dark comedy to me. The title probably will make you chuckle but it seems a suitable title for the ZomRomCom genre but it could be better.

flick: Lucky Number Slevin is a pretty good movie actually. When you get time from that degree really try and pick it up when the dvd comes out.

What I was trying to talk about was a good movie title should work with the trailer to explain what the movie is about. Now after watching the trailer for Slevin and seeing the title it made no sence, same story with Two for the Money. The title can also be really silly and do good in the movies like your examples. Everything dosn't fall on the shoulders of the title, but sometimes movies fall flat even before its released based on the trailer and title. (Sort of contradicted myself there but its a tad hard to explain...oh well)

As for proof, I am currently studying at UNLV of Las Vegas and I am trying to get my buget together for my final exam short film. Once I finish I will send you a copy if you really want.

Freezie: Come on you can do better.

Sat Aug 26, 2006 3:01 am
regular

Saying something is not proving something, slippery.

Sun Aug 27, 2006 12:59 pm
Profile ICQ YIM

Slippy indeed. Well I guess I can't send you a whole lot of in your hand proof yet. This simple topic of movie titles has turned into me defending myself tooth and nail. It's actually sort of fun.

I would describe this board as bitter-sweet. You are all in the same little group and you dont want just anyone wondering in. I can see why, because a lot of morons will come in if the a door is wide open, but if you prove yourself to not be a total idiot you can be apart of the conversations. I think thats why you have so many people join but never post. It's pretty fun to read most of these posts, its like a fucked up novel of some sort.

Well thats my two cents. Spend them as you wish.

Sun Aug 27, 2006 5:29 pm
Slippy, I still hate your name, but at least you seem to have figured out what this place is about.

Sun Aug 27, 2006 5:41 pm

Well sorry about the name. I just like the word slipshod, it means messy, which I sort of am as a person. Oh well. I dont really know why I put the 69 after it. Well sorry, but I think its something you can live with.

Mon Aug 28, 2006 12:24 am
* Spitelord

Mon Aug 28, 2006 12:49 am
Profile WWW
regular

Here's what you can do: Reregister, without the numbers at the end of your name. That'd do a lot for you, I think.

Mon Aug 28, 2006 4:46 pm
Profile ICQ YIM
user

I'm clearly not around enough to see these "bitter sweet" traits. I always figured this place for a relaxed, easy-going place where one can appreciate coherent conversation. You win again, attitude!

Tue Sep 05, 2006 5:06 pm
Profile YIM

"When a Stranger Calls"
Hm. When I first saw the preview for that, I immediately thought it was going to be a spoof. It wasn't.

"Beerfest"
Though stupid, cliche, and exactly what the title implies, I actually loved this movie to bits.

Tue Sep 05, 2006 8:52 pm

I have been wanting to see beerfest for awhile, but I will probably wait for a free rental on it. My very limited funds arn't going to disappear for that movie.

I was putting away older movies today and I found a gem of movie title's.

"They call me MISTER Tibbs!"

Last edited by Slippy on Sat Sep 09, 2006 10:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Tue Sep 05, 2006 11:56 pm
Reply to topic   [ 32 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next