View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:17 pm

Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ] 
 The one day I posted on this board! 
regular

Post The one day I posted on this board!
Hey ya'll, if any of you still care about lil' ole Vicky... :3

I've been doing a lot lately and I rather wanted to make a few observations.
One being that Animal Crossing on my new Sexy DS lite is great.
Another being that the new DS lite is sexy.
Third, Trauma Center on my sexy new DS lite is very difficult, but highly addictive.

That is all really. Did I mention I got a sexy new DS lite? It's so sexy...

Anywho, I'm also going to enter the tokyopop Rising Stars of Manga competition this year... because I'd really love a chance to ya know... put some kind of foot through some sort of door and what not.
Does... anyone think I have a chance? Be honest.
My manga will be a satarical serial-killer occult peice.

Until then I've been working on a painting of the main character, because painting a character helps me feel more 'in touch' with them, however I just recently realized that this particular image of her doesn't nearly capture her personality in any way except maybe fasion sense (which is closely based off of my own).

It's a work in progress clearly, but here's a bit of a sample of how it's going.

Nacho, I drew the boobs with you in mind.

(Cough, when I showed this to Lee just now, he told me it looked almost just like me... and I'm like pshnofuckingway... I'm not THAT hot... e__e)

Thanks for reading my rambles, you may now present cynical apathetic responses.

Wed Aug 30, 2006 4:44 am
Profile WWW
sniff
</cynicism>

Fuck nacho,
I like the boobies!

You gonna show us any of your actual Rising Stars entry, Vic?

Wed Aug 30, 2006 5:21 am
regular

When I draw some of it, I'd definitely like to. However it's not like I'm actually allowed to post it anywhere before I send it in and lose. o3o

Wed Aug 30, 2006 5:28 am
Profile WWW
regular

You have Animal Crossing on your DS lite! I forgot! I have it now also, you should visit my village.

Also, your comic is WONDERFUL.
You stand every chance.

Wed Aug 30, 2006 6:55 am
* Spitelord

More nipples! *whippy noises/hand motions*

Wed Aug 30, 2006 10:39 am
Profile WWW
+ Regular

We'll all vote for you, Vic, if you need us to; we're even known--by and large--not to cheat.

Sun Sep 03, 2006 1:59 pm
Profile WWW
user

DS IS neat beyond all rational limits.... have you Metroid Prime, Mario Kart, or Tetris? Mayhap some friend code trading could take place, even though it's a total pain in the ass?

Tue Sep 05, 2006 1:01 am
Profile YIM

Tue Sep 05, 2006 2:02 am
Profile YIM WWW
user

Tue Sep 05, 2006 10:27 pm
Profile YIM
regular

We'll all vote for you, Vic, if you need us to; we're even known--by and large--not to cheat.

Why that's mighty sweet of you Cda. ^^ I'd appreciate it if ya'll did, I do rather wish to win something out of this.
My friend M. Alice has said some encouraging (and non-sugarcoatedly discouraging) things about being published by Tokyopop. Both her and Christy were picked up from being in the RSOM books.

Cathode, my sentiments exactly. MST3K, sure, I love that show. What makes your maniless associated with it though? Furthermore, I'd rather be friends before trading any friend codes with any given person... thank you.

Anyway I digress.
I've actually shredded and rewritten my last script. Now I wanna do a cyberpunk Adam and Eve inspired dealy.
Hmm yes.

----
Leh edit.

And I finally finished this silly painting.
Not at all what I wanted it to be. Meh.
Here it be.

Thu Sep 07, 2006 6:19 am
Profile WWW
+ Regular

Good. My only suggestion would be to darken the sky so's it better contrasts with hi/r pale skin.

It might be a problem with my super-high res, though. I'm not talking about making the sky or background midnight blue, or anything--just darkening it slightly to "pop" the character out a little more.

As a finished piece, how large is the painting? The complexity of detail would suggest that you make it a miniature; somewhere just below postcard size. As a large piece, a panel of "serious" judges might have a problem with the simplicity of the blurred and negative space.

Personally, I think it's an admirable work--and certainly exceeds anything I could hope to produce at the moment--but art judges are total dickweeds, Vicky. Good luck.

Thu Sep 07, 2006 6:22 am
Profile WWW
regular

Hmm yeah darker... well if anything it could just be a matter of composition. I did want the sky to be pretty light, but I could have easily placed her in front of a bridge or building or something to avoid any contrast issues...
Thanks for the advice though, I hadn't really noticed that before.

As far as the size, I kept it at a 300 dpi wallpaper size really, realizing it wouldn't do as much if it was say, a nice big poster.

At any rate, I appreciate the feedback/complimentage. Thanks much Cda. :3

Thu Sep 07, 2006 6:47 am
Profile WWW
+ Regular

Now that I think of it, it's the color fields that falter under the blur--if you want, you could try pattern filling with complex gradients (however, the darker fields would need to remain darkly graded throughout).

For good reference on really popping the focal point, look into Junko Mizuno's colored stuff. If you're gonna juxtapose simple fields, she's the absolute master of that sorta thing.

i.e.:

Of course, this isn't the best example of what I'm talking about--just my favorite. For examples of her work under rain and other blur-family filters, get a copy of FIREWORKS.

Thu Sep 07, 2006 7:40 am
Profile WWW
Oh, boy. I'm getting this huge urge to go make everything she's wearing, now. Damn you, I can't spend all day sewing.

Aesthetically speaking, CD's right about the sky. And logically, if it was raining that heavily it'd be darker as it is. I know me my rainy skies.

I'd suggest trying to make the rain look less constant, too, if you can. I don't know what program you're using but I suspect that you have one that'll let you deal with layers. If this is so, I'd try to see if you can make the rain fall more in 'sheets'.

You have a really lovely style, though. Best of luck.

Thu Sep 07, 2006 8:09 am
* Spitelord

I disagree with the dark sky. She pops plenty just being in focus when the rest of the scene is blurry, and being a cartoon character in a semi-real world. If anything, you should make some of the background and foreground colors bleed into one another--like the sky is doing with the shoulder--to make her outline slightly less defined. Makes her become part of the scene in an almost dream-like way, and not just a superimposed Shrinky Dink.

Also, wet boobies need perky nipples! XO

Thu Sep 07, 2006 9:45 am
Profile WWW
+ Regular

Sat Sep 09, 2006 4:51 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 16 posts ]