View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:18 pm

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Oh Noes - Bioshock installs a rootkit 
* Spitelord

Post Oh Noes - Bioshock installs a rootkit
From Slashdot, courtesy of nacho:

"Facts have surfaced that show that the recently released PC game BioShock installs a rootkit, which embeds itself into Explorer, as part of its SecureROM copy-protection scheme. Not only that, but just installing the demo infects your system with the rootkit. This begs the question: Since when did demos need copy protection?"

Be aware that any software Sony has a hand in creating or distributing may contain Digital Rights Management software. That includes music cds, and now, apparently, free software. In case you ignored/missed the meat of the story early late in 2005 about Sony's DRM handiwork, rootkits are a bear to remove. Generally, unless you're a certified code wrangler, rootkits stay where they are unless their creator gets sued into removing them.

Sat Aug 25, 2007 12:37 am
* Spitelord

The game's also a POS, from what I hear. Not the game content--heard it was pretty damn cool, actually--but that it was chock full of bugs and such, and the only help the company gives is to update your drivers, which don't work.

Good jeorb, Sony! Image

Sat Aug 25, 2007 5:37 am
Profile WWW
* Spitelord

Unfortunately, the Slashdot story is large amounts FUD. If you follow through the article, you find it's not really a rootkit, but a registry entry and a few files, which store the DRM on the HD. They don't actually run in any way unless you're running a SecuROM program that requires them. The kicker is that they registry keys and files are purposefully malformed to prevent them from being removed, which is a sleazy tactic, but not really a rootkit, as there are no alterations to explorer to keep something running in the background out of sight.

Also, I can tell you that Bioshock is probably the first PC game that NEVER crashed on me, or glitched out in any way. I even alt-tabbed out a dozen times, which windows games HATE you to do while playing full screen. In fact, of all the people I've talked to who run it, nobody's had a problem with glitches.

Sat Aug 25, 2007 9:27 am
Profile WWW
* Spitelord

The issue I have with it is that when you uninstall either the demo or the game, SecuRom stays.

Sat Aug 25, 2007 11:35 am
* Spitelord

That it does. Apparently there were quite a few popular games that used it in the past as well, so its malformed keys and files are present on many computers.

Sat Aug 25, 2007 11:41 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]