View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:36 pm

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 Request 
* Spitelord

Post Request
Comics have suddenly leapt out of the world of literature at me. As a kid, I tried to get into the idea of enjoying comic books because my sister had a million, but it never really worked for me. My interest has suddenly appeared out of the blue, however, and I am beginning to inch my way along. Any assistance whatsoever would be extremely appreciated. So far, I have downloaded Transmetropolitan, Scud the Disposable Assassin, Y:The Last Man, and Umbrella Academy. I'm planning on getting Bone, Milk and Cheese, Hellboy, and Sam and Max. My sister still has piles of her collections, which I plan to go through this summer.

Thanks in advance to anyone hurrah-ful enough to offer recommendations. Also, puppies!

Wed Apr 16, 2008 11:30 pm
* Spitelord

Preacher and Watchmen come to mind. I'm sure there's a ton more, but I'm barely awake at the moment.

Thu Apr 17, 2008 7:47 am
Profile WWW
* Spitelord

Read Scans_Daily for ideas of stuff to get. It mostly sticks to DC and Marvel, but you'll see lots of other stuff there. People filter!

Thu Apr 17, 2008 6:11 pm
Profile WWW
* Spitelord

In addition to what you listed and what sunder suggested, I'd suggest Invisibles (and almost anything by Grant Morrison, including his X-Men run), Alan Moore's Swamp Thing (don't read any ST that came after Moore; it's awful), Jamie Delano's and Garth Ennis's Hellblazer runs, Sandman (it's good :P), Walking Dead, and Fell by Warren Ellis, which is still going. Oh, and Fables is good, too.

For Batman, I enjoyed Frank Miller's graphic novels and the Hush series (I forget the author) the best.

Also, for more non-mainstream but really, really good stuff, Blankets by Craig Thompson and Jimmy Corrigan by Chris Ware are amazing.

And, if you like Y: The Last Man, you might also like the author's other pretty well-known series, Ex Machina.

Those are some of my favorites, anyway.

(I spent way too much money on comics in college. Be careful!)

Thu Apr 17, 2008 9:03 pm
* Spitelord

Thanks a bunch! I have added all the ideas onto my steadily-lengthening list, and shall try my best to get ahold of all of them. If I could, I would hug all of you, plus give you rainbows and kittens.

Also, I've read Sandman and liked it a great deal. It lead me to Terry Pratchett's books, via Neil Gaiman and his collaberation, Good Omens. So, hurrah there!

Again, thanks muchly!

Fri Apr 18, 2008 12:14 am

Personally, I couldn't get enough of Strangers In Paradise. Sometimes it meanders, or goes way over the top, but when a series ends up with 19 TPBs, that's going to happen a little.

Sat Apr 19, 2008 4:29 pm
Profile YIM WWW

Anything by Garth Ennis, generally. The Maxx and Ojo by Sam Kieth are both really good reads.

Sat Apr 26, 2008 3:31 am
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]